What's wrong with Hetalia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Admin's other interests
The obvious and yet oblivious racism.  EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:41 pm by Admin

» My story...
The obvious and yet oblivious racism.  EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:31 pm by Admin

» The fantastical introduction of....myself.
The obvious and yet oblivious racism.  EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 8:01 am by Nastja-Chan

» Admin's Anime Interests
The obvious and yet oblivious racism.  EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 6:12 pm by Admin

» The Random Thought Thread ~ [Let's Chat!]
The obvious and yet oblivious racism.  EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 6:04 pm by Admin

» The obvious and yet oblivious racism.
The obvious and yet oblivious racism.  EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 4:54 pm by ajshim

» About the Whole Yaoi-thing
The obvious and yet oblivious racism.  EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 5:24 pm by ajshim

» Now Playing
The obvious and yet oblivious racism.  EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 8:14 pm by Admin

» Anime Watchlist Anyone?
The obvious and yet oblivious racism.  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 3:50 am by Make it Quick

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

The obvious and yet oblivious racism.

3 posters

Go down

The obvious and yet oblivious racism.  Empty The obvious and yet oblivious racism.

Post by ajshim Sun May 06, 2012 5:24 pm

The show is obviously racist towards the countries that the characters represent. With the slight and I mean very slight exception of Japan. Even though there are Japanese citizens are who just as insulted as anyone else in the world. And yet there are oblivious fans who disregard this and just say that it's cause everyone is being poked fun at. And by "poked fun at" is still insulting and still racist. It doesn't matter if all or few are being insulted, it's still being insulted and racism itself is still a form of hate. And to add salt to an open wound, it takes place during WWII one of the world's darkest parts of history.

ajshim

Back to top Go down

The obvious and yet oblivious racism.  Empty Re: The obvious and yet oblivious racism.

Post by Admin Thu May 24, 2012 5:18 pm

ajshim wrote:The show is obviously racist towards the countries that the characters represent. With the slight and I mean very slight exception of Japan. Even though there are Japanese citizens are who just as insulted as anyone else in the world. And yet there are oblivious fans who disregard this and just say that it's cause everyone is being poked fun at. And by "poked fun at" is still insulting and still racist. It doesn't matter if all or few are being insulted, it's still being insulted and racism itself is still a form of hate. And to add salt to an open wound, it takes place during WWII one of the world's darkest parts of history.

Definitely agree about Japan. It is really obvious that Hidekaz was too much in favour of his own country and tried to shed a positive light on the Axis during WW2. Very biased that way.

As for the racism, I can't relate that much, though I completely understand. If my country is shown in an insulting way, I would feel a bit mad as well. However, the few countries I can relate to (Iran, Canada, USA) don't strike me as being mocked by the author. Iran isn't even in Hetalia. Canada, despite being invisible, is mostly portrayed that way by the fandom. Canada is less useless in the manga, and I sometimes even like what he does (the long rant about America, especially). As for America, I don't feel insulted about the portrayal of a hero Smile

So, I can't really feel much insult, especially since I knew no one special in WW2. But I don't like that era either. I would have liked it more if the main story was either throughout history, with no special time in particular, or a happier time like the Renaissance. But thanks for the view.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://whatswrongwithaph.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

The obvious and yet oblivious racism.  Empty Re: The obvious and yet oblivious racism.

Post by ajshim Sun May 27, 2012 1:53 am

I like the different era in history part you suggested. I think it would make things less harsh and insulting. It'll still have it's problems, but one less problem if it was done that way.

ajshim

Back to top Go down

Post by Make it Quick Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:10 am

To be honest, I don't see Himaruya's bias towards Japan. I mostly see he has more of bias towards England (and Estonia to an extent).

Oh, and I don't see Hetalia as racist nor am I denying it could be potentially offensive. I've see way worst things than what Hetalia dishes out is what I'm saying. Also, Hetalia is based off of stereotypes. Where do you supposed stereotypes originate from? People! So if one is to say Hetalia is racist and offensive, then you have to admit that people themselves can also be racist and offensive.

I'm not really one to care much about stereotypes to be honest. I like the cast, and everyone in Hetalia, because each have their own charm points and uniqueness in characterization.
Make it Quick
Make it Quick

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:02 pm

Make it Quick wrote:To be honest, I don't see Himaruya's bias towards Japan. I mostly see he has more of bias towards England (and Estonia to an extent).

Oh, and I don't see Hetalia as racist nor am I denying it could be potentially offensive. I've see way worst things than what Hetalia dishes out is what I'm saying. Also, Hetalia is based off of stereotypes. Where do you supposed stereotypes originate from? People! So if one is to say Hetalia is racist and offensive, then you have to admit that people themselves can also be racist and offensive.

I'm not really one to care much about stereotypes to be honest. I like the cast, and everyone in Hetalia, because each have their own charm points and uniqueness in characterization.

His bias towards Estonia is because he realized how much Estonia is similar to him, so that might be why. And the bias towards Japan is simply because Japan is the least inperfect character (HE IS NOT PERFECT but he has less imperfections than someone like, say, Poland or Italy).

And that reminded me of showing Hetalia to my mother and her saying that it was a racist show that had an evil subtext, coming from a Japanese (meaning that their losing the war and being shown as an evil power in many textbooks made the author mad and made him want to show the Allies in a positive light). As a grown-up, I guess she takes things more seriously than people like you and I do. So, despite Japan's quiet, friendly attitude (most of the time), and despite his few flaws, I don't mind it that much. But he could have made the representation of Japan a bit better.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ajshim Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:19 pm

It doesn't cover the fact that there are people are insulted by this. Me being one of them, especially when it's a touchy subject to many people around the world. And to add insult to injury many fans of the series (not all I know there are reasonable and understanding fans) tend to believe that these characterizations of the nations in the franchise, not just the anime, but the series as whole to be accurate. As I am sure everyone know that stereotypes aren't true. People can joke certain things, but when it comes to a scale this big as the whole world and dark part of history is going too far. There's a fine line on what's funny and what's insulting. It doesn't matter that all countries are being mocked, it's still insulting. I could do the same thing and I am sure that I'll receive the same reaction. Many books have done the same thing and yet they got destroyed or stopped publishing cause the people that were insulted by it requested it, bit now it's ok when Hetalia does it?

ajshim

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:40 pm

ajshim wrote:It doesn't cover the fact that there are people are insulted by this. Me being one of them, especially when it's a touchy subject to many people around the world. And to add insult to injury many fans of the series (not all I know there are reasonable and understanding fans) tend to believe that these characterizations of the nations in the franchise, not just the anime, but the series as whole to be accurate. As I am sure everyone know that stereotypes aren't true. People can joke certain things, but when it comes to a scale this big as the whole world and dark part of history is going too far. There's a fine line on what's funny and what's insulting. It doesn't matter that all countries are being mocked, it's still insulting. I could do the same thing and I am sure that I'll receive the same reaction. Many books have done the same thing and yet they got destroyed or stopped publishing cause the people that were insulted by it requested it, bit now it's ok when Hetalia does it?

That's unfortunately true. I hate some representations like that of Poland, since that's not even a STEREOTYPE, it's just made up. Apparently, Poland was meant to be a girl, and the skirt kinda stuck when Hidekaz changed his gender. That has nothing to do with Polish males in general. I know some of them, and they're tough, in a scary way 0_o
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ajshim Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:54 pm

There have several changes within the series including characters that have switched genders like Korea and China (I could be wrong on the China one though).

ajshim

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down